Saturday, August 08, 2009

Surname Saturday: HOLST



The HOLST family is my adoptive family line. My paternal grandmother was adopted by Alfred Henry HOLST and his wife, Nellie May CONCIDINE. I've been able to trace Alfred's line back one more generation into Hannover, Germany.

Stories and History:

Ahnentafel #20B - Johann Deidrich HOLST (1860 - 1940) - He married Ida Charlotta GUSTAFSDOTTER, an immigrant from Sweden to Germany, in 1880. Three years later, they immigrated to Western Michigan with their infant son Alfred, to live near Johann's older sister and brother-in-law, Anna M. HOLST and Claude BORCHERS. During WWI, Alfred was investigated by the FBI because he had not completed his naturalization process. He petitioned to get it completed, and his file found at Footnote contained priceless genealogical information.

Ahnentafel #10B - Alfred Henry HOLST (1882 - 1952) - Read his AnceStory here. From obituaries and newspaper articles, I have determined that the HOLST family was integrated well into their adopted American community of Coopersville, Ottawa Co., Michigan, and were highly regarded by the members of that community.

Ahnentafel #5 - Jeanne Marie HOLST, born Jane Marie YORK (1924 - 2012) - my paternal grandmother

Ahnentafel #2 - my father (living)

Ahnentafel #1 - myself

More about the HOLST family:

1. Online database (I update this at least once a month): HOLST ancestors and relatives (no info on living persons available)

2. Some HOLST obituaries

3. Posts about HOLST ancestors and relatives on this blog

4. Some scanned HOLST documents

5. My HOLST Virtual Cemetery on Find a Grave.


My HOLST immigration trail:

Hannover, Germany > Ottawa Co., Michigan > Muskegon Co., Michigan > Ottawa Co., Michigan > WI > Ottawa Co., Michigan > AK > Stevens Co., WA > Spokane Co., WA

No comments: