Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Birthday to a Very Special Olympian!



Today is the birthday of a very special Olympian. Once upon a time, this 15-year-old girl from New Jersey competed in the Summer Olympics in Mexico City in the women's swimming 200-meter butterfly event. She placed sixth in the Games, although going in, she was ranked fourth in the world. It's absolutely amazing to me that someone who was only 15 years old at the time was able to accomplish so much.

But when I see her, I don't usually think about the Olympics. I see a friend, a colleague, a mentor, and a positive, determined, and active woman who cares so much for our dozen or so special-needs students. I've had the pleasure of chasing her Bronx roots across the Internet to Ireland and Germany. She is one of the reasons I love going to work every day (I can't imagine a better boss!) and I hope she realizes how special she is to our school community, to her many friends and family members, and to me.  Happy Birthday, Nu-Nu! We love you!

No comments: